Food @ No.1
Afternoon Tea in Limerick
The drawing room is the heart of the house with a grand old original marble surround and burning turf fire. Afternoon Tea is served from 3 to 6pm and is a real treat at No. 1.
- La Maison Pery Tea - Classic Afternoon Tea to include a selection of Sweet & Savory Items with Harney's Afternoon Tea, Herbal Selection or House Blend Coffee - €19
- Louis Roederer Champagne Tea - Classic Tea with a Glass of Louis Roederer NV Champagne - €32
- Sparkling Afternoon Tea - Classic Tea to include a Glass of La Riva Dei Fratti DOCG Prosecco - €26
- Tea & Thermal - Classic Tea to include up to 2 hours Thermal Spa Experience - €49
- Princess Tea - The ultimate treat for any promising princess - Finger Sandwiches, Homemade Chocolate Brownies & Mouthwatering Hot Chocolate or Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice - €12 per child
A little History of Afternoon Tea
Tea consumption increased dramatically during the early nineteenth century and it is around this time that Anna, the 7th Duchess of Bedford is said to have complained of "having that sinking feeling" during the late afternoon. At the time it was usual for people to take only two main meals a day, breakfast, and dinner at around 8 o'clock in the evening. The solution for the Duchess was a pot of tea and a light snack, taken privately in her boudoir during the afternoon.
Later friends were invited to join her in her rooms at Woburn Abbey and this summer practice proved so popular that the Duchess continued it when she returned to London, sending cards to her friends asking them to join her for "tea and a walk in the fields." Other social hostesses quickly picked up on the idea and the practice became respectable enough to move it into the drawing room. Before long all of fashionable society was sipping tea and nibbling sandwiches in the middle of the afternoon.
Reservations essential - please call +353 61 402402.